Friday, May 2, 2014

Spring

                 This is my family's first spring at our new house since we moved in. The last couple of weeks were  spent by pickaxing our driveway to remove the foot or so of packed snow and ice that have built up. This past weekend was no different. The weather was beautiful in the 50's and the snow was definitely melting. My sister and I were throwing snowball at different targets when my parents got home and we started pickaxing the driveway again. Everything was moving slow but perfectly fine, when my dad opened our garage door to find four inches of water on the floor. There is a drain in our garage but we never used it, we didn't even know if the drain worked. The first thing we did was try and take the cover off the drain. I tried with a round file and a screwdriver, but the file broke. I then found the two thickest screwdriver I could and was able to take the drain off. We got the shop-vac out and tried to clear the drain out. It took emptying over ten full buckets of water, rust, and whatever else was stuck in the drain before we bought the house before we could even the pipe. We would suck a whole bucket of water and then change the hose around and try and blow the dirt around to break it up. Every time my hand hit the top of the shop vac to turn it off I would feel a shock. That doesn't seem too safe considering i was standing in a pool of water, but it didn't hurt so we kept going. We ended up getting rid of all of the water and we cleared to drain so it is working properly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment